Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Resident Polo Pervert
5,183 Posts
Someone was asking on the Corrado forum how to wire their rear wiper so that it came on automatically when reverse was selected and the front wipers were on. I had done this to my own car a few years ago so I drew up a wiring diagram, thought I'd post it here in case its of use to anyone

R1 = relay 1
R2 = relay 2

A feed from the reversing lights goes to pin no 86 on R1
pin 85 on R1 to ground
pin 30 on R1 to an ignition live feed via an inline fuse
pin 87 on R1 goes to pin 30 on R2
Pin 86 on R2 goes to the front wiper relay output
Pin 85 on R2 goes to ground
Pin 87 on R2 goes to the rear wiper relay input.

This circuit will mean that the rear wiper will come on if the front are on and reverse is selected, the wipers will still work on the switch and the reverse lights will not be switched on by the wipers.

Edited to add an inline fuse as per Trevs suggestion

·
Administrator
7,210 Posts
I predict lots of burnt out sparks and burnt out wires after this!

mk5 based cars have this feature as standard now.

·
Resident Polo Pervert
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Trevor @ Mar 30 2006, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I predict lots of burnt out sparks and burnt out wires after this!

Shouldnt burn out any wires Trev, the relays are there so that no additional strain is put on the factory wiring, they simply switch the relay on thats the point behind using them, its the same as an uprated loom uses relays to allow you to use higher wattage bulbs.

They also serve a second purpose of not allowing strange goings on like the reversing lights coming on when you switch the rear wiper on and so on.

Dont be so negative
I did do electronics in college after all

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
or you could just whip off the rear wiper altogether

looks much better imo, and to be honest i never use the rear wiper

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
Because of the shape of the corrado you don't need it as much. On golfs you need it way more as all the crap off the road gets thrown onto the rear screen.

I don't really see the point of the automatic wiper with reverse thing though, you'd look like a bit of a tool in the middle of the summer reversing onto a parking space with your wiper on. I find that turning on the wiper when it is needed using the conventional method works fine for me

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
i think that it only works when the front wipers are on aswell,
so if you were reversing during the sunny irish summer
you wouldnt have your wipers on
so when you hit reverse the rear wiper would stay off, i think i could be wrong

·
Administrator
7,210 Posts
QUOTE (GSBellew @ Mar 30 2006, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Shouldnt burn out any wires Trev, the relays are there so that no additional strain is put on the factory wiring, they simply switch the relay on thats the point behind using them, its the same as an uprated loom uses relays to allow you to use higher wattage bulbs.

They also serve a second purpose of not allowing strange goings on like the reversing lights coming on when you switch the rear wiper on and so on.

Dont be so negative
I did do electronics in college after all

Gearoid some lads cant even connect a set of jump leads not to mind isolate the wires shown above. I have met fellas with degrees in Electronics who couldn't wire a car stereo.

You forgot to stick an inline fuse in these too my man.

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
QUOTE (benkenobi @ Mar 30 2006, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i think that it only works when the front wipers are on aswell,
so if you were reversing during the sunny irish summer
you wouldnt have your wipers on
so when you hit reverse the rear wiper would stay off, i think i could be wrong

Ah yes that makes more sense alright, and makes even more sense when you actually bother to look at the wiring diagram

·
Resident Polo Pervert
5,183 Posts
QUOTE (Trevor @ Mar 30 2006, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Gearoid some lads cant even connect a set of jump leads not to mind isolate the wires shown above. I have met fellas with degrees in Electronics who couldn't wire a car stereo.

You forgot to stick an inline fuse in these too my man.

Fair point, on both counts, although that diagram is only really to show the relay connections

QUOTE (Geo @ Mar 30 2006, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ah yes that makes more sense alright, and makes even more sense when you actually bother to look at the wiring diagram

LoL, yes Brain is right, it would only work with the front wipers on, hence going to the bother of using the relays

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Would take a go at this myself in my free time if I still had a rear wiper!

Sure thats the whole point of car enthuasist electronics, to improve and invent on ole rubbish stuff that hasnt worked in 10 years(and without fail, will stop working 2 weeks after you completely replace everything!)!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts