Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Skoda - Simply Clever
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posting for a mate..

His S3 is spluttering around the 3k rpm mark and loosing power, this smoothens out a bit and happens again at 4k etc...

Anyway he brought it for a diagnostics in Coby Autos, they said it was the No. 3 coil and replaced it, they also replaced the MAF. The problem went away but only for a few hours and is back again.

Is there a coil control unit in the S3 that could be gone or is it down to an individual coil problem?

Any ideas greatly appreciated....

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I think if you do a bit of research on the web you will find out there were major coil pack issue with the mk4 platform 1.8t's
there was a later spec coilpack with a revised part number that was fixed.
I remember Trev saying on the old forum that he used carry a spare coil pack

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
What year is it?

Go to an Audi garage and get it fixed under warranty, I know of somebody you got the coils replaced on a 2001 1.8T GTI during the week free of charge.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Is it throwing any codes ? Time to VAG that car.

·
Skoda - Simply Clever
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers lads, he just rang to say he's gone out and bought new coils and put them in and all seems fine (hopefully!)

@PD150 Its a 01. The car its self is out of warranty as far as I know, are coils being replaced FOC as part of a fault? Ill get him to go back to the garage and see.

@PDXA4 Apparently it was VAGCOM'ed by Coby Autos and thats what showed up coil No. 3. His brother just bought a VAGCOM himself which should come in habdy...... Mk5 golf, caddy and an S3 between them..

·
Oh Glenn, you nasty!
2,931 Posts
QUOTE (DaveQ @ Feb 24 2006, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The car its self is out of warranty as far as I know, are coils being replaced FOC as part of a fault? Ill get him to go back to the garage and see.

It was a recall issue so shold be covered.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts