Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking of getting a laser detector, i hear the valentine 1 is good?

but are they any use against cops holding a hair dryer, ur porbably caught before u can stop?

and whats the legality of having one

any opinions?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have one it's a whistler something. I only really use it for long journeys etc coz traffic lights and that set it off although there is a city button on it which reduces bogeys! It actually saved me a couple of times. One time I was going to Cavan and as I came to this bend it went mad so I slowed down, Got around the bend and there was a guard doin a speed check! They are illegal and they will take it off you or make you drive over it if they see you with it!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mate of mine has a Valentine 1....though its ealy days yet so don't know how good it is in the real world.He got his through a mate returning from the US as apparently Valentine1'makers won't ship outside of the US?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a Valentine as well. Excellent detector and I would highly recommend it.

I've posted previously about it, so you can find more via the search feature...

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a Bel 980, too scared to use it over here though due to the illegalness.

Works brilliantly though, picks up gatsos from a decent distance.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Dr. Octavia @ Apr 3 2006, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a Bel 980, too scared to use it over here though due to the illegalness.

Works brilliantly though, picks up gatsos from a decent distance.
anyone know the exact legality or illegality? is it true u can use one just not operate it?

·
Registered
304 Posts
QUOTE (cyrus @ Apr 3 2006, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>anyone know the exact legality or illegality? is it true u can use one just not operate it?

Flat out you cannot have one in Ireland.
If you are caught then the cop will destroy the detector and you will have a day in court.

If you are concerned about this then do not get one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts