Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or from China/Japan?

Whats a rough idea of cost? Is it cheaper/easier to do it through the UK?

Would it be possible to bring a UK car over to Aus having just bought it in the UK? i.e does it need to be registered in your name in the Uk for X amount of time before you can ship it to Aus?

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
Simon still has that car, I keep meaning to go down to have a look at it. The diary makes for some interesting reading.....if you had a week!

·
Registered
304 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
He got a bit of a discount from BMW too on a new Beener for all the publicity that his car got!

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
I can't remember, I'll check this evening

·
Registered
651 Posts
Yeah I had a different plan in mind mainly involving putting the car on a boat and flying over independently !

Basically I want to know can you transport a car from UK to Aus without paying irish VRT?

Whats involved in registering the car in the Uk and is there a time frame as to when you can export it after buying it in the UK?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
didnt BMW use that story for an advertising campaign and did BMW refurb the original 3series that they used
aswell when they got back and brought it around dealerships as part of the campaign, i think i heard one of the lads on the radio one day talking about it,

·
Plane
3,414 Posts
There is a guy with an original racing AC cobra nearish to me that was brought from Australia. From memory he got a shipping company to container it over to his house.
When I seen it first I asked ''how long did it take you to build the Kit Car'' which got me a frosty look to say the least!!!

·
www.autostadt.ie
9,390 Posts
Firends on mine just brought back a honda Accord form Aus....containered it over using a shipping company over there..they owned it for a year in Oz so no worries on that score.....

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
you can get a ferry from sydney to southampton where they drive the cars on and off rather than container them.

·
Registered
875 Posts
As far as I know, if you buy the car here and it's for export, you do not pay an VRT or other duty's. You then must pay it in the country of destination. Approx 750 euro transport cost. A mate of a mate was working in Dubai as chef. Bought a brand new big Merc in Ireland for export to dubai. Kept it there and returned to Cork to live after 1 year. He reckoned he saved himself about 20 grand. He did not have to pay any VRT as he was living in Dubai for more than a year after he bought it, and did not intend to sell it when he returned home.

John

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
QUOTE (RiccsonTDI @ Mar 29 2006, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Guys I was in college with did this...

www.dublintosydney.com

I never heard about that before, its a great read, fair play to the lads

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
Simon got a nice 320i coupe for his troubles at a reduced price, a bit of help towards the cost of the trip

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was thinking there was some issue with owning the car for a certain time frame. So is it possible to bring a UK car over and leave it on UK plates while in Aus? Looks like those lads didn't have much trouble with the car on Irish plates going around Aus? The only problem I can see would be insurance.

Register the car in Aus after the yr and sell it over there ex-lux tax?

Its £1100 for a container to Aus or £900 for a shared container.

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
you have to have owned the car for a year before you can import it.

if you intend taking the car out of australia within 12months you can leave it on irish plates, if you intend to sell it there then you have to get it complianced and registered

1 - 20 of 25 Posts