Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this started when I bought a '76 Passat near Killarney late last year.

the intention was to restore it so I quietly started to look around for spares before stripping it down.

I saw this '73 (I think) Audi 80 in pics from a closed-down scrapyard in Kildare:

since it shares all the mechanical parts and the front bodywork with the Passat I made a mental note to search it out once the weather picked up.

to my surprise, shortly after KMerdy advertised the very same car for sale here, he had rescued it from the yard and offered it for sale here. A deal was struck and Ken and his boys were good enough to drop it round to my house. Then I fell in love with it! I really liked the idea of fixing it up and having a nice rare old Audi for myself. However, it was way worse than the Passat so it would need even more parts and panels replaced to make it good again. THe whole floor was rotten out of it so again Ken stepped up and donated a gutted Vento shell to cut up for panels. The idea was to use the Vento floor pans in the Audi.

That's when I got a call from the owner of another '73 Audi 80 who described it as very good for the year. This was a real barn find, it had been garaged since 1990 and only when the garage started to fall down around it was it dragged out. Again we struck a deal and met to deliver/collect the car. The seller was right, this car was in great shape for the year, streets ahead of both the brown 80 and the Passat.

The sills on the car are perfect, as are the rear arches, boot floor, passenger compartment floor, boot lid, window surrounds etc. All the trim is present, very important on a rare old car as these things aren't made any more! The interior is also immaculate, I don't think the rear seat has been used at all. However, as with any old VAG car it had its sins! The front wings are known water traps and are both in bad shape, left worse than right. The left side front door is rotten at the bottom and there are a few rust scabs on the bonnet, roof and boot lid.

So I set-to with the repair work, starting with the front right wing. It took a bit of work to get it off but once off I discovered a small bit of rot in the inner wing and strengthening panel. I've been working on that corner since, it's almost finished. The other inner wing is in similar shape and will need the same repairs.

Since this area will never be seen again I'm happy to do strong welds but not bother too much with original appearance. So long as it's all good steel under there and well undersealed it'll be good as new. It won't win me any concourse prizes but I know it's all good

The plan in the long-run is to have something nice, old, subtly modified/upgraded and rare once finished. Watch this space for updates!!

oh, the upshot of all this wheeling and dealing is that I should have enough spares left over at the end to restore the Passat too. There'll be another resto thread on that in due course

·
Registered
222 Posts
best of luck with these mate love the older rare cars will be keepin an eye on this tread !!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Good luck with this... Should be a lovely job when done! We squashed one of these last year

·
Polo 6n ftw!
962 Posts
looking forward to this trev, good luck!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (PVW @ Apr 11 2010, 02:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>love this.
found some inspiration for you Trevor..

yeah I'd be aiming for something like that alright, not with BBS though, they're EVERYWHERE these days...

murph, don't get too attached to the green

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been doing a few more bits to the 80 in the last few weeks:

front valance edges:

same on the other side

headlamp surrounds repaired:

found a bit of rot in the rear leftinner wheel arch but nothing I can't handle. The body is nearly solid again...

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
good read so far Trevor. Just spotted the VO license plate on the brown audi, is it V 0232 for limerick or VO 232, only ask as I cant find any county with VO. Also, was the read passat from a place half way between firies and castlemaine in kerry?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
That guy had/has a scrap US spec rabbit there along with a bunch of buses and beetles. Supposedly the field behind the house is full of rare enough old vw's and other oddities.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know the guy I got the Passat from, well before I got the passat from him, real nice guy, actually a member on here too. You're right, he has quite a collection of old VWs and more!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
nice work, love these old audi's. good to see somthing different
what you thiniking engine wise and that??, even though your far off that stage!!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
it's only a 1300 at the moment. I'm surprised at it though, it's the big block engine like you'd find in a golf as opposed to the 1300 small block engine you'd find in a polo. Must be particularly early to be a 1300 big block.

As for engine plans, I reckon I'll stay with petrol and will come up about thirty years or so. I have a good 1.8 8v from a B3 passat but it's pretty gutless so mightn't be worth talking about. I'll see what pops up when the time comes for the power upgrade.

·
Registered
229 Posts
QUOTE (trevorbrady @ Apr 29 2010, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>it's only a 1300 at the moment. I'm surprised at it though, it's the big block engine like you'd find in a golf as opposed to the 1300 small block engine you'd find in a polo. Must be particularly early to be a 1300 big block.

As for engine plans, I reckon I'll stay with petrol and will come up about thirty years or so. I have a good 1.8 8v from a B3 passat but it's pretty gutless so mightn't be worth talking about. I'll see what pops up when the time comes for the power upgrade.

there's one of these in Dunmanway on the side of the road , all rot but you might get trims , lights etc if your stuck ,there's a scrap yard in macroom that has one of those passat as well , there for years . Bit away from you but hay if you get stuck for something . Let me know if you need more info

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
cool, yeah. Let me know of the locations and I'll look them up. There are a few bits that i need

cheers

1 - 20 of 368 Posts