Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
car is a 97 1.4 golf cl, never even knew there was a airbag light till the car failed the NCT on it, turns out the bulb was broken by the previous owner, i wired up a LED and when i start the car the Light stays on, i took off the airbag and it looks like its never been touched, so do i get another airbag? or is there a possibility of it being a silly fault somewhere else? or a fault with the circuit board that has the airbag light on it? any help appriciated!!

·
Sam D
1,707 Posts
do like I did for the test on my latest golf mk3, '97.

replace the steering wheel with a non-airbag wheel for the test (corrado vr6 in my case) use a pre-95 non airbag trim panel or paint over the light panel matte black. job done.

·
Sam D
1,707 Posts
QUOTE (ali-d1936 @ Apr 23 2011, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Was just thinking that lastnight, if I got a non airbag steering wheel wouldn't I be ok? Or because its on the nct cert that the airbag bulb was faulty would they kick up a fuss??

nope, did that with this latest car, even said on nct result, airbag light on.

no airbag and no airbag light FTW!

·
Registered
259 Posts
common vw problem with airbag light staying on!
I fixed two last week.
first check out airbag light connection unit,
spray both sides with isoproyl alcohol or electrical contact cleaner
leave to dry then reassemble. turn off light by deleting the code via the obdii port,
usually thats the job done- prob is normally caused cause of static.

If it isn't that check out pre-tensioners then airbag slip release ring.

I have a vr6 three spoke non airbag type steering wheel available if you still want one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.