Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Was looking at a 1987 mk2 Jetta today on english plates but originally from South Africa. It is 1.8 automatic not running. Interesting thing was that it had Air Con. Anyone have experience of this, would it be worth fitting to another Mk2. What would need to be fitted. Also couldnt see any switch inside to switch on/off the aircon?
The car is pretty much worthless other than this but I was thinking of taking it for the Aircon anyway.
What do ye think.

·
Oh Glenn, you nasty!
2,931 Posts
The gas used in the system is illegal, there are replacement gases but i'm not sure if there is one that will work with the old system. A lot of people scrapped the system when the gas became obselete.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
sure air con is kinda pointless in Ireland though eh? It makes the car suck petrol like mad too. Brings the revs right down.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
QUOTE (Oisin @ Feb 24 2006, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>sure air con is kinda pointless in Ireland though eh? It makes the car suck petrol like mad too. Brings the revs right down.

wouldn't agree. i do around 35k a year and sitting traffic mid summer in the heat. yes air-con would be welcome

·
Registered
304 Posts
QUOTE (dubtrend @ Feb 24 2006, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>wouldn't agree. i do around 35k a year and sitting traffic mid summer in the heat. yes air-con would be welcome

2nd this, air-con is most useful in this climate...

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Have just come from the states 3 days ago and have been over there on several occasions during the summer, where air con is useful
, but to have it for the sake of 5 or 6 days during the summer is not worth the hassle of buying a car to put in air con.

What kind of car have you dubtrend?

Know a certain Masda 323 someone on here might remember that would nearly conk when u put on the air con!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
[quote name='daveb' date='Feb 24 2006, 07:03 PM' post='10401']
its great in wet and damp weather for keeping the windscreen demisted as well

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
QUOTE (Oisin @ Feb 24 2006, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What kind of car have you dubtrend?

1997 Passat tdi 90bhp bog spec model as a daily car (168,700k) and my wife will soon be driving my 1989 mk2 8v. which will become my evening car!!

i'm hoping to hear good news tomorrow about an audi 80 tdi for tiny money. so might be changing in a few days depending on condition.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts