Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Lads just got back in to the car after having lunch its a 2001-A6, 1.9TDI, When i turned the ignition i heard a loud-ish click noise, the car automatically reved itself for a split second and there was a huge amount of smoke from the exhaust which stoped after about 3-4 seconds max. Driving down the road it was still smokey but fading, i think, hard to know looking through the rear view mirror.

Cant distinguish the colour of the smoke while driving but it was all white smoke at the house when i started it up after lunch, i always get absolutely terrified when i see any excessive amount of exhaust fumes coming from the exhaust and especially if the colour of the smoke is blue,but in this case while parked it was definitely white.

·
low&slow
3,212 Posts
QUOTE (Geo @ Apr 22 2011, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>When the car revs itself on startup the reason is usually a faulty coolant temperature sensor. This could also explain the smoke. A diagnostic scan will show a coolant sensor fault if it has failed.
x1
Just got my A4 scanned and coolant sensor replaced problem solved.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.