Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
I was looking at a '97 one of these at the weekend, Serviced and Wishbones replaced recently.

Car hasnt been driven in a while and was hunting quite a lot at low revs until it warmed up....... I am assuming dirt in the throttle body??

Anything else to look out for with these cars?

Any advice appreciated

·
Registered
875 Posts
Clean the usual suspects. the front suspension as a whole, so check the lot. Have seen a few with perished brake hoses and CV boots. Check the rear brakes. Most garages don't bother to remove and clean the pads. The pads can get siezed in their mountings and cause rapid wear to the rear disc's. Make sure that if crashed, it was repaired properly, done a cambelt on a bodged crash repair once and it was a b*****d to refit the front. On the plus side there a nice car to drive, and good fun.

John

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Johnny,
Current owner actually put the car through the NCT yesterday and it passed. If nothing else it was a good check for brakes, suspension, hoses and boots etc. No evidence of it being crashed from what I saw when I looked at it last week.
Grand car to drive alright, going to see it again tonight and will probably buy if Im happy enough with it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Picked the car up lastnight, they are a fine car to drive so im happy enough with it.

I was keeping an eye on the idling from when it was cold...... it was still hunting a little and seemed to hesitate from low revs when I gave it some throttle. Coming into cork after a half hour of clear road coming to a stop and it wouldnt idle at all, just died. And thats how it stayed, wont idle at all now and dies unless you keep a little throttle on.
To me thats more than a dirty throttle body, any ideas anyone??

Car hasnt been driven for about 6 months or so only to mechanic and out for NCT recently.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts