Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A picture is worth a thousand words.

The Honda rider was traveling at such a "very high speed", his reaction time was not sufficient enough to avoid this accident. Swedish Police estimate a speed of ~250 KM/h (155 mph) before the bike hit the slow moving car side-on at an intersection. At that speed, they predicted that the rider's reaction time (once the vehicle came into view) wasn't sufficient enough for him to even apply the brakes. The car had two passengers and the bike rider was found INSIDE the car with them. The Volkswagen actually flipped over from the force of impact and landed 10 feet from where the collision took place.

All three involved (two in car and rider) were killed instantly. This graphic demonstration was placed at the Stockholm Motorcycle Fair by the Swedish Police and Road Safety Department. The sign above the display also noted that the rider had only recently obtained his license.

At 250 KM (155 mph) the operator is traveling at 227 feet per second. With normal reaction time to SEE-DECIDE-REACT of 1.6 seconds the above operator would have traveled over 363 feet while making a decision on what actions to take. In this incident the Swedish police indicate that no actions were
taken.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
holy crap that was some accedent,
god love thoes poor victims in the golf totaly unexpected

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Jesus the poor people in the car probably done nothing wrong. When they pulled out from the junction, the bike was probably half a km away. But as that speed......

·
Registered
170 Posts
Bikes are nice on a sunny day - but they are too tempting to drive fast and there are too many gombeen car driver's out there to make the risk worth it. Even at 60mph if your faced with a sudden obstacle there is not much you can do.
I once had to do an emergency braking from about 40mph and it took all my skill to just keep the bike upright.

Of course I have seen as bad as this in real life - I once was at an accident where a little Honda 100 was in a head on collision with a corrolla. The bike split the corrolla in two along its centre line all the way back to the handbrake lever. I still think of that accident when I pass that spot - where a cross has been neatly kept always with fresh flowers ever since.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Was this for real or was it set up on a test track somewhere? It all looks too neat to be real, Sure theyd have had to cut the car to pieces to get all 4 people out. It has been cut on the a pillars, they musta put it al back togther again.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
A friend and neighbor of mine toured europe for 2 months on his bike with his girlfriend without a scratch, on the way home from work one evening some thick c**t pulled out infront of him in a micra. End of story. His life ended because some thick b1tch didnt look at the road.

Most people in this country dont pay attention to bikes at all, i'd ride one around a track no bother, but i think the road is far more dangerous!

·
Registered
108 Posts
QUOTE (Oisin @ Mar 9 2006, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Was this for real or was it set up on a test track somewhere? It all looks too neat to be real, Sure theyd have had to cut the car to pieces to get all 4 people out. It has been cut on the a pillars, they musta put it al back togther again.

I was thinking the same thing...

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
wheather it was a set up or not it still works and it is effective, hopefully it will make a few more drivers aware of bikers on the road, i used to have a bike for a few years but gave it up after breaking my leg in a fall its to dangerous out there with unobservant drivers on the road

·
Resident Polo Pervert
5,183 Posts
Lads, before we all get into a debate about whether unobservant drivers or speeding bikers are more to blame for the accidents involving bikes on the roads lets not forget that in this case with the biker travelling at 155mph that he was clearly in the wrong. As has been pointed out when the driver started to pull out the biker could have been half a kilometre away, how was he to know that the bike was doing 155mph and would close so fast?

As for the argument that its unobservant drivers fault that bikers get knocked off their bikes, how many of us have been passed on both sides at the same time by bikers? Or witnessed bikes weaving in and out between cars on the motorways at speeds in excess of the 120 kph limit? How many times have you seen a biker coming towards you on one wheel on a public road? What would happen if you were to have a blow out or swerve into his path at the last second?

In the end of the day a biker is fighting a loosing argument, a bike is inherently a more dangerous method of transport when compared to a car, its smaller therefore more difficult for other road users to spot, they also lack the driver / passenger / pedestrian protection of modern cars being built today.

In a era of more and more stringent controls on the production and minimum safety requirements for passenger vehicles is it not only a matter of time before motorbikes are deemed too unsafe for europes roads.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
All you have to do is sit in traffic on the M50 at any day of the week and you will witness plenty of bikes tearing up the white line between the two queues of traffic. All it takes is for one person to try and change lanes and there is no chance a bike will stop in time, I don’t care how good their brakes are. I'm amazed that I have not seen an accident to this day.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
That's some very valid points Gearoid and I agree 100%. But you do have the safe bike rider too who, everyday take a major risk going on the road. But the same thing could be said for car drivers as well. The only difference you do have a better chance in a car. But then at that sort of speeds, if that was a car that hit the golf at 155mph....well I don't think it'd be on show in an arena.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
QUOTE As for the argument that its unobservant drivers fault that bikers get knocked off their bikes, how many of us have been passed on both sides at the same time by bikers? Or witnessed bikes weaving in and out between cars on the motorways at speeds in excess of the 120 kph limit? How many times have you seen a biker coming towards you on one wheel on a public road? What would happen if you were to have a blow out or swerve into his path at the last second?
i take your point GS but is that not taring all bikers with the same brush, is that not the same kind of opinions that young drivers have been fighting against for years, just because of a few idiot young "boy racers" in their cars causing accedents all young drivers are the same and thefore we all get punished with insurance,
of course bikes are dangerous but so are cars in the wrong hands, alright in a car you might have more chance of surviving but you could kill the same amount of people as if you were on a bike mabey even more, imo both are just as dangerous in the wrong hands, and there are plenty of safe bikers out there

·
Registered
170 Posts
I my line of work I get to see all sorts of accident's and stupid driving and as a rule I would say that most biker's are far better and more streetwise 'drivers' than car driver's.

The reaction time / observation of a lot of car driver's is simply appalling.

Another thing while I am at it (even though its not very pc to say so - most women drivers may drive more slowly and carefully but become paralysed with fright at the sight of any problem ahead of them which requires swift and decisive avoidance action.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I can see the point of buying a bike if its to take out on a "merry jaunt threw the country" for nostagas sake, or a scooter (chicken chaser) but the only reason people buy the fast powerful bikes is to take them to mad speeds, i would honestly say that outta the number of bikes i see on the road, 70% of them are passing everything out going well over 60.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
wow. thats crazy, the state of that golf would hate to see the poor victims.

I traveled round Europe for a month on a bike with a mate, never had one problem, europeans seem to be more switched on regarding bikers well the great roads help too. if ya come up behind some people on a bike here they panic.

·
Registered
875 Posts
While working in Germany I seen on the front page of Das Bild, a picture of an R1 inside the back window of a Merc estate. The paper said the car was traveling at 120 K/h on the autobahn. The Merc was in bits, so I can't imagine what speed the bike was doing.

John

·
Registered
969 Posts
QUOTE (benkenobi @ Mar 9 2006, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i take your point GS but is that not taring all bikers with the same brush, is that not the same kind of opinions that young drivers have been fighting against for years, just because of a few idiot young "boy racers" in their cars causing accedents all young drivers are the same and thefore we all get punished with insurance,
of course bikes are dangerous but so are cars in the wrong hands, alright in a car you might have more chance of surviving but you could kill the same amount of people as if you were on a bike mabey even more, imo both are just as dangerous in the wrong hands, and there are plenty of safe bikers out there
Well said benkenobi. I am as much into bikes as cars but I admit that a lot of bikers do give a poor impression to other drivers and as already mentioned, one problem I often noticed on the road is the way some of them fly up between lanes of traffic on dual carriageways etc, one false move and...

It would make you think when you look at that Golf.

·
Registered
191 Posts
During my time as a rep I came across numerous accidents, including those involving bikers.Whether the accident was the bikers fault or not didn't matter as these accidents in particular showed just how frail the human body really is.
Here's another series of photographs of a head on crash involving a bike and a truck.....can't imagine the remains of this accident being exhibited in a show.

DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK IF EASILY OFFENDED. IMAGES ARE EXTEMELY GRAPHIC.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts