Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Girlfriends polo's gearbox (had to be carefully worded) is a bit sticky gong into 1st and reverse!
It's a DQW box. There is also a leak on one of the selector rod seals,

So my question is, will a 00,01 polo box fit?

I will have to take the box out to repair the seals and to send it off to find out whats up with 1st and reverse anyway!

Cheers neil

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
They aren't so much a gearbox as a shitebox
The selector rod seals leak on them all, I've yet to see one that doesn't leak. If I were you I'd drive on until it gets too hard to use it then get a secondhand one. I think I know where there is a 1.4 8v one.

I changed a gearbox in one once after it had run out of oil and shit itself. It had got so hot that I could unscrew the bell housing bolts by hand.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"I changed a gearbox in one once after it had run out of oil and shit itself. It had got so hot that I could unscrew the bell housing bolts by hand."

Sh1t.
It's her car so it's hard to change gear for her already!
How much would that box be that you know of?

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
Not sure, I will check it out at the weekend for you. It was there a few weeks back but the gearbox will be one of the first things to sell out of a 6N polo. Not as many 1.4s on the road though so it could still be there.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
i had gearbox trouble last month on the girlfriends 6n2 1.4 8v, i could have got a second hand gearbox for 350 but i got her own one reconditioned by a local garage, the car was off the road for 3 weeks

·
Registered
875 Posts
Probobly better to re-build the box as Ronan done, as that way you'll know what you have. As they gave alot of trouble, you may find the one you get second hand could be worn also.

John

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
You'd want to be sure that the place you are getting it done knows what they are at though.

I've seen a lot of mk4 gearboxes rebuilt and they haven't been great. I know you get a guarantee with them but that doesn't always include removal/refitting.

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
i did my own removal and refitting, i thought it was safer to get it rebuilt as a second hand box could be as bad in no time.

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
QUOTE (ronan @ Feb 23 2006, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i did my own removal and refitting

Exactly, imagine how pissed off you would be having to take out the reconditioned one after a few months and not getting any compensation for doing it? Well I've had to do that before, from my experience I reckon getting items like gearboxes, steering racks etc reconditioned is a waste of time.

·
Registered
551 Posts
QUOTE (Geo @ Feb 23 2006, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>steering racks etc reconditioned is a waste of time.

, That was a fuppin nightmare alright!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts