Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to look at an A3 1.8T today. Very very clean car for its age, full service history and only 49,000 miles. It drives perfectly and pulls really smooth, similar to my old Golf Gti. I like the car and it I decide to buy will be getting it at good money. But I have a question.

Its a 5 dr and has S Line badges on the rear doors, and the seller has told me its 180 bhp. I've been searching the net for the last few hours and cant find anything on a Mk1 A3 1.8T S Line.

Its a 5 speed, but I have read on a couple of sites that the 180bhp was a 6 speed.

Has anyone here had any experience with this kind of S Line?

Any replies are appriciated.

·
Registered
12,877 Posts
5 speed sounds like 150 to me i don't think the A3 got the 180 bhp version of the 1.8T

Only my opinion but why move from a 1.8T golf to a 1.8T A3? that is just putting fancier curtains on the house surely? why not buy an S3?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Shane @ Apr 20 2011, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>5 speed sounds like 150 to me i don't think the A3 got the 180 bhp version of the 1.8T

Only my opinion but why move from a 1.8T golf to a 1.8T A3? that is just putting fancier curtains on the house surely? why not buy an S3?

Sold my Golf 2 and half years ago. Have missed it ever since. This A3 came up with low mileage and FSH so I thought I'd re-introduce myself back to the VW group.

·
Registered
12,877 Posts
QUOTE (trueblue @ Apr 20 2011, 12:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sold my Golf 2 and half years ago. Have missed it ever since. This A3 came up with low mileage and FSH so I thought I'd re-introduce myself back to the VW group.

That is fair enough.

Im sure someone with more knowledge will be able to answer your question but 5 speed is defo 150bhp and i would be dubious of s line badges!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Shane @ Apr 20 2011, 01:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That is fair enough.

Im sure someone with more knowledge will be able to answer your question but 5 speed is defo 150bhp and i would be dubious of s line badges!

Thanks Shane,

I went looking at it thinking it was 150bhp until the seller said it was 180bhp, so if it isn't then no big deal. The car is so clean and straight that it wouldn't stop me buying it. It has a bit of a sleeper look which I love.

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
Is it the older or newer model? They changed in 2003. If it's the older model it could be 150 or 180bhp, although I think that the 180 only came with Quattro. I presume that it is a UK import originally?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (Tony D @ Apr 20 2011, 06:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is it the older or newer model? They changed in 2003. If it's the older model it could be 150 or 180bhp, although I think that the 180 only came with Quattro. I presume that it is a UK import originally?

It's the old model. It's not quattro but I have found mentions of a 1.8T s line 180, but no specs. I'm just going to ring him back and get the engine code off the log book, that should settle it.

Are these cars on the long life service schedule like the golfs, every 2 years or 20,000 miles?

·
Tel: 01-8119029
3,504 Posts
Ive never heard of a 180bhp non quattro 8L A3. You can check KW output on your boot/service book sticker to confirm.

Alternatively if you have solid rear discs and 288's up front its a 150bhp.

Keith

·
3,504 Posts
QUOTE (trueblue @ Apr 20 2011, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Rang the seller back now to get the engine code. The code is AUQ, which according to wikipedia is 178bhp / 132kw.

Have I stumbled across something rare here?

Seems there was a 2WD 8L A3 but it wasn't officially imported.

From the Audi-Sport definitive engine code list - http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8...gine-codes.html

AUQ (not available in UK)
Date: 05/00 -
Drive: FWD
Emission: VVT, EU4
Throttle: drive-by-wire
Injectors: big
Turbo: K03sport
Gearbox: EHA

Keith

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Keith.

I've been told that its an Irish car and not an import. It was also a demo car. Once I get the log book and other details I should be able to find out more about it.

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
The 180bhp non-quattro was definately not available in the UK. It may have been a rare import from the factory, but would be very unusual to have it come direclty to ireland from Germany and the UK not getting them at all

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (Tony D @ Apr 20 2011, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The 180bhp non-quattro was definately not available in the UK. It may have been a rare import from the factory, but would be very unusual to have it come direclty to ireland from Germany and the UK not getting them at all

Coud the fact that it was demo model have anything to do with it. kind of looking forwad to going and hopefully driving home in it tomorrow.

·
Registered
12,877 Posts
Could also be an engine transplant!

Its all very interesting.You need to go see the engine code and boot sticker for yourself and don't take the sellers word.Also get the chassis number and get your local friendly parts man to run it and see what it says.

·
3,504 Posts
PM me the reg or chassis number and I'll check it.

Keith

·
Registered
504 Posts
Irregardless of what bhp it has stock ,it will have a ko3s so it will remap to the same bhp figure
Just look at the brakes and you will be able to tell what it left the factory as . Unless they have been uprated too......

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sorry but no pics, have a bit of issue that I hope to have sorted.

While driving the EPC light came on and power was reduced (traction control light was on too). Starting up again would get rid of the EPC but the engine managment light stayed on and it began to idle very funny, reving from 500 to 1000rpm.

Took it for a diagnostic and came back with the following faults:
1. Lamda sensor
2. Throttle body
3. Coil pack x3

The guy who did the diagnostic reset the codes and said it looked like someone had disconnected the throttle body and reconected it without resetting the computer. Does this make sense to anyone?

He said to ignore the coil pack fault because the car wouldn't run at all with 3 gone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.