Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner

2 Litre Gti To Carb?

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  neilc 
#1 ·
Is it possible to strip the injection system off a 2 litre mk3 Gti engine (8 or 16v) and replace it with something like twin 40 carbs without any problems?

#2 ·
In a word, yes!

You need a low preesure fuel pump instead of the standard one,
Fuel pressure regulator,
twin 40/45's
inlet manifold
socks/filters
trotle linkage(spelling)

#3 ·
Sound Neil. I've been thinking of this for a while now as I think it might be a bit more straight forward than fitting an injected engine into a non injected car...it's just a matter of getting the carbs set up properly.
An Audi 80 2 litre injected is pretty much the same set up as the mk3 Gti isn't it? It's just the gearbox that's different but a mk3 Gti or diesel box would do the trick to fit it into a mk3 Golf if I'm correct.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
most big garages would be able to set them up!
If you'r looking to get serious power out of them go to the likes of Martin Tracey for a r/r session. the roar off them is savage.

I've a set for sale by the way!

Also have a mk3 Gti 2L for sale!

#6 ·
I had a sneeky peet at this myself a few weeks back. Yamaha R1 carbs can be jetted to suit up to 2.2 engines. The can be got from breakers for handy money and Bogg Brothers can do a manifold for £100+something pound. Or they will sell the manifold and carbs to suit the engine for £200 and something pounds, even the carbs will be spaced out.

#7 ·
Do you know what sort of performance those R1 carbs deliver?

Is there much difference in power between the Gti setup and say twin 45 carbs?

#8 ·
Throttle bodies from a 600 cc bike will flow enough air and fuel for 200 bhp. Get this set up and youll never look back. Bodies on e-bay for 200 sterling or so, manifold is required anyway. You will need a blank ecu, (DTA or emerald etc). Going this route you will have full control of fuel and spark and a far more powerful and smoother engine. Stuff like idle control valve, crank sensor, etc can be sourced second hand.

John

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
It's definately worth a look into by the sounds of things. It's probably easier than wiring up an original Gti loom etc...or is it? The wiring was the main reason that I wanted to bin the injection system in the first place.

#10 ·
I looked into TBs myself and you'll need to get yourself a Omex, DTA, Emerald ecu as johnny99 says but you also have to get someone to wire it up. Jenvy do a direct to head TB set up but you have to uprate injectors feul pump etc!
It's alot of heart ache to get it all together at the start! you have to set up TBs on a rolling road too! In all you wouldn't have much change from €4000.

If it is something you are going for then demon tweeks are doing a package deal. I think it cost about £2000 for the bits and peices and you have to get them fit and running after that!

Hope this helps

#11 ·
Sound lads. I'll have to think it through. Has anyone on hear put twin carbs on a Gti before or know of anyone who has done it?

#13 ·
The lads in autowerks in Cork put some on a mk1 caddy! That sounded sweet!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.