Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well lads,

This is my firs "VAG" project, was allways jap scrap before I seen the light..! The car is a 1990 jetta GTI, the body work is straight as give or take one mark, but the engine is in ribbons. the car is driving but blowing alot of smoke and dropping alot of oil and i think water aswel....

the plan is to try and keep it as original as possible as a gti Jetta is as rare as. will prob put a new engine in and bring it back as close to show room as possible with a few nice touch's.. Ill keep the thread updated as I go and hopefully get some advise as I go.. If any one can supply links or that to pics of rolling off the factory jetta GTI's or options catalogs can you send them on....

well here she is..

any comments or advice greatly appreciated..!

·
its pronounced Conor D........... Ray!!&#
5,614 Posts
alright dude. she's more or less as it would have come from the factory by the looks of it. although the wheels look to be bbs off a corrado so they prob aren't factory which would have been bbs ra.

the oem+ route is deffo the way to go with this one. like you mentioned in the other thread a good clean and some coilover and a change of wheels. bbs rm's and rs's are very popular in keeping that oem look but at the same time being alot more aggressive then the too narrow and too small ra's.

another nice touch would be some US styling like a rear number plate tub to put in a square plate and if you can track them down some velour recaro's. if not a set of black leathers would be gorgeous in that car.

but a clean, some german plates, a good drop and some 15x8's will have this car lookin top notch.

welcome along.

·
The Minister for Hardship!!
4,250 Posts
Lokks like a solid base for a project. Best of luck with it. Id love one!

I have an engine here to suit. Going cheap as ists in the way. Just been fully serviced too

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (conord @ Apr 20 2011, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>alright dude. she's more or less as it would have come from the factory by the looks of it. although the wheels look to be bbs off a corrado so they prob aren't factory which would have been bbs ra.

the oem+ route is deffo the way to go with this one. like you mentioned in the other thread a good clean and some coilover and a change of wheels. bbs rm's and rs's are very popular in keeping that oem look but at the same time being alot more aggressive then the too narrow and too small ra's.

another nice touch would be some US styling like a rear number plate tub to put in a square plate and if you can track them down some velour recaro's. if not a set of black leathers would be gorgeous in that car.

but a clean, some german plates, a good drop and some 15x8's will have this car lookin top notch.

welcome along.

thanks buddy.. yeah ill change the wheels if I come across a set i cant turn down.. would love to put a set of ronal teddies on it...lol to be honest i dont like the usdm look.. but the German plates are now on order and im working on an engine to get this baby on the road.. the interior is something i would be interested in changing.. what other models can I take an interior out of?

QUOTE (The Doc @ Apr 20 2011, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Lokks like a solid base for a project. Best of luck with it. Id love one!

I have an engine here to suit. Going cheap as ists in the way. Just been fully serviced too

PM'd

QUOTE (p-graal @ Apr 20 2011, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>looks like a good base and not too many gti jetta's around. is it an irish or import??

Its originally a uk car but inported to the emerald isle in 98..!

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
You have a nice car there.

Any mk2 interior will fit straight in.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (Glenn @ Apr 23 2011, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wheels are 14" with a diamond cut so not corrado. Some vw's came with them as factory option. Cool project best of luck with it.

when removing the engine from the jetta am I better off removing the front pannell and accessing things that way or does it have to come off.. Im having problems with getting the rad off.. has anyone got a link to a someone who has a step by step or a youtube link..?

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
It's handy enough to remove the front panel.

Remove the bumper and grille, there are two 18mm bolts that bolt up into the bumper bars from under the car.
There are two bolts on top on either side of the front panel, two under the light on either side and one in the very centre down the very bottom. these are all 10mm. Disconnect the bonnet pull cable, it just pulls down from it's

to remove the rad, undo the two brackets that bolt onto the top of the front panel at the ends of the rad.

Remove the slam(front) panel. you should have plenty of access to remove the pipework from the rad then.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (neilc @ May 11 2011, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's handy enough to remove the front panel.

Remove the bumper and grille, there are two 18mm bolts that bolt up into the bumper bars from under the car.
There are two bolts on top on either side of the front panel, two under the light on either side and one in the very centre down the very bottom. these are all 10mm. Disconnect the bonnet pull cable, it just pulls down from it's

to remove the rad, undo the two brackets that bolt onto the top of the front panel at the ends of the rad.

Remove the slam(front) panel. you should have plenty of access to remove the pipework from the rad then.

Hope this helps.

Cheers mate.. Decided to give in and read the hayns manual and it says I have to remove the front panel on all mk2's after 86... It was the bracket on the rad that goes up through the slam panel that was confusing me..!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Saw this for sale in that new paper with motors for sale, what a Bargain!
Well wear with t, definately different.
16" BSX would be cool on it

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Between being away with work, starting part time college and just being an absolute piss head over the last few months this was really put on the back burner.. But my new years resolution was to get this on the road so I've dived right in the deep end..
First off all I picked this up last night for very handy money and will be using most of the car for the jetta as it is absolutely spotless...

Got the car in to the garage aswel so I will actually get off me arse to get it out of the way..

Another incentive to get the car back on the road is a couple of the lads are heading for the Nuremberg again this year so it would be cool to get it on the ring... I'll keep the thread updated with progress over the next few months..

·
Registered
38 Posts
We'll as they say out of sight out of mind... been very lazy with this the last few weeks.. got me finger out the other day and removed the engine, subframe, hubs and pretty much all running gear up front.

few lil spot's of rust on the valance and wing..

and i have to say, what a nightmare to get the under sealer off to remove the wings... does any body have some tips to get the wings off the donor car without damaging them..? here is the doner in the light... thinking about swapping the circle headlights on aswel but the purest in me says not to...

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
blow torch

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
PLEASE DONT PUT ROUND LIGHTS ON HER!!!

Pretty please with cherry on top!

No matter what is done to a jetta, I wont like it with round lights, but thats just me

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.