Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lads just wondering if anyone has come accross this before.

My Corrado is being a wee bit reluctant to start in the mornings, it can take 2-3 good turns of the key before she kicks into life. There is plenty of life in the battery as she has no problem turning the engine over.

Is there some form of a cold start valve on them that allows extra fuel when starting from cold?

Any ideas appreciated

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
something similar was happening to mine a while back, it would take a few goes to start it and sometimes
it wouldnt start it at all, i brought it down to westward eng, and got the car dyno'd, martin checked the lamda etc all was fine and he didnt really know why it was happening he adjusted the fuel mix because he said that it was the only thing that seemed out of the ordinary, anyhew it hasent happened since what ever he did (touch wood),
so really after all that its no fecking help too you at all,
i know your pain, going out to your car and you dont know if it will start or not

there is alot of talk over on the corrado.net about the ignition coil being poor on the raddo's and one of the many common faults on them, mabey try posting over there, hope you get it sorted

·
Registered
875 Posts
Ensure plugs, leads, rotor and cap are ok before you start on the expensive stuff. You can also unbolt the cold start injector to see if it spraying fuel when you try and start it with the engine cold, be careful. Do this with the aid of a friend at the key and you holding the injector facing the hole ( close) you unbolted the injector from. Next check the cold start switch.

John

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers John, will have a look

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
nice little tip there jonny good one

·
Registered
651 Posts
Had a similar problem on my 16V last yr, I replaced the started motor which did the trick in the end. I had replaced the plugs and got new HT leads + new dizzy but the new starter got best result as it was still slow to start with all the other bits replaced.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Some VAG starter's have the front bush in the bell houseing to support the shaft. Alway's replace this first, as it's so cheap. When it's worn, the starter become's in-efficient, and turns slower and is harder on the battery.

John

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
would you get a starter motor in GSF or would you have to order one from a main steeler??

·
Registered
651 Posts
I picked up a new bosch one on ebay but GSF do rebuilds as far as I remember bit cheaper than buying a new one and works just as well.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Can get it rebuilt locally, and fit a bush i8n the bellhouseing. The starter can be rebuilt by yourself, a set of brushes and the bush at the rear is usually suffice.

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts