·
Registered
3,426 Posts
QUOTE Maybe you should do a 5 stud conversion Brian

you could be right there GEO although it means more money

·
Resident Polo Pervert
5,183 Posts
Sure I will sell you my Azev C's, they come with an engine and brake upgrade for your valver included, not to mention all the Corrado spares you will ever need.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
QUOTE Sure I will sell you my Azev C's, they come with an engine and brake upgrade for your valver included, not to mention all the Corrado spares you will ever need.

but they would all be from an early model

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
what would be involved in the conversion
5 stud hubs from a golf or something like that,
ive just put on some new disks, pads, braided lines and calipers to the wheel set as it is
so if i go changing the hub set up they would be come obselete i imagine??

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
For the rear it is just a matter of changing the brake discs.

For the front you need hub centres and outer cv joints from a mk3 gti/vr6. Then you put the hub centres into your own hubs and use mk3 gti brake discs with your own pads calipers and carriers (you have 280mm brakes on yours yeah?)

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
hhmmm

it would open more choice of alloys to me,
ill think about it, cheers for the info Geo

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Can that be done on a mk1?

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
QUOTE (Geo @ Feb 2 2006, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>use mk3 gti brake discs

mk3 gti disks wont work, you need to redrill the 4 stud disks as the offset or disk height is less on the 5 stud ones and it wont let you bolt on the callipers to the hub, you need to machine the outer edge of the 5 stud hub centres too (before you press them in the bearings) so the 4 stud disk can fit over them, they barely catch on the inside of the disk.

very early passat vr6 had the correct offset 280mm brake disks with 5x100 stud pattern.

i would think that to do it on a mk1 you would need the late cabrio drives to fit the vr6 outer cv joints and you would need to machine down the vr6 hub centre to fit in the mk1 bearing. golf vr6 syncro rear hubs would let you keep the mk1 cv joints as they have the same spline but you would still need to machine the hubs down to fit in the bearing, i had to do this when i changed to 5 stud hubs on the rallye and it cost me a small fortune to buy all the parts and i had abs too which meant more work on the front hubs moving sensor brackets and mixing and matching parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts