Volkswagen Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well lads currently driving a 05 bmw 320d coupe and diesel just isnt for me really has taken my enjoyment out of driving!

Going to try get a swap or p/x deal with someone for a mk5 golf as iv had 2 before and just want one back in my life!

Im trying to weigh up the differences between the gti and the 1.4 tsi 170bhp. Would appreciate anyone who has either to answer a few questions.

Gti: What average mpg do you get? miles per full tank and how much it is to fill? Whats the insurance like on these? what are they like overall?

1.4 tsi: As above What average mpg do you get? miles per full tank and how much it is to fill?What are these like realiabilty wise? 170bhp seems like alot to be pushing out of a 1.4, is there anything to watch out for on these

All help appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
QUOTE (stevedub @ Apr 16 2011, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Gti: What average mpg do you get? miles per full tank and how much it is to fill? Whats the insurance like on these? what are they like overall?

About 30 mpg. Costs about 80 quid give or take to fill these days. Im 23 and paying 1200 fully comp. They're fuppin brilliant.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
QUOTE (stevedub @ Apr 16 2011, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the in put man whats your average mileage for a full tank then?

Around 350 miles usually which is 28-29mpg off the top of my head.

More is very achievable. When I was up and down to college (A 60 mile round trip) I was regularly seeing over 400 miles to a tank.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had a 1.4 Mark V "GT" rental last year and was appalled at the MPG so you would probably be better off with the GTi; I was driving a Silvia at the time and had to go to from Dublin to Castlebar for the day for work (which is why I got the rental) and it probably would have been cheaper in the S15! Maybe the gear ratios aren't right for motorway travel or something but the tank was pretty much empty when I got back that evening...

Plus I'd imagine the GTi is a much better car to drive (never driven one) because I was under-impressed by the GT; granted it's amazing for a 1.4 and you'll save €€€ a year on tax but if you're used to something with a bit of extra capacity you may be disappointed...

Test drive them both & see which you prefer, I'd also advise you to test a couple of 140bhp diesel Golf's too just to be sure - it might surprise you as it's much lighter than your 3

·
Registered
129 Posts
QUOTE (mark_eire @ Apr 17 2011, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If insurance/tax isn't an issue, get a Gti, I had 3 in the last few years, great cars,
I bought my wife a 1.4 Tsi new in 2007, great cars but nowhere near as good as a Gti.

Get about 300 - 450 miles from a tank depending on the mix of city driving / motorway on my GTI. It's apparently a considerably better drive than the 170 1.4.

·
Liam
125 Posts
Mostly motorway driving but I normally get 620Km before the petrol light turns on. Fill at the moment is €75+. I know its not far away but I havnt had to put €80 in the car to brim it...yet.....

Insurance really isnt an issue - fully comp with 123.ie I just paid €500.45 - 29 years old living in Dublin 24 with 6 years claims free.

I think you're right to assume the 1.4 is a little "high strung". It may be fine standard but if you are the type of person who would consider a remap later on then I'd probably go for the bigger engine.

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
Having driven both (for a short time), I was very impressed with the GT, but if I was choosing between them, the GTI would win everytime

·
Registered
275 Posts
QUOTE (Trial_S15 @ Apr 17 2011, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I had a 1.4 Mark V "GT" rental last year and was appalled at the MPG so you would probably be better off with the GTi; I was driving a Silvia at the time and had to go to from Dublin to Castlebar for the day for work (which is why I got the rental) and it probably would have been cheaper in the S15! Maybe the gear ratios aren't right for motorway travel or something but the tank was pretty much empty when I got back that evening...

Plus I'd imagine the GTi is a much better car to drive (never driven one) because I was under-impressed by the GT; granted it's amazing for a 1.4 and you'll save €€€ a year on tax but if you're used to something with a bit of extra capacity you may be disappointed...

Test drive them both & see which you prefer, I'd also advise you to test a couple of 140bhp diesel Golf's too just to be sure - it might surprise you as it's much lighter than your 3

Slight thread jack..... was this rental through Thrifty???

We had them in our fleet, the 1.4 TSI in the 122 are good, but I am sure they are no comparison to the GTI.

I wouldnt imagine there are many of the more powerful twin charged ones in Ireland!?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I think you would regret buying the 1.4. The gti's are way more tuneable. Ill bring you for a spin in mine if you want.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the inputs lads i kinda thought there wouldn't be much of a comparison really! Must price insurance before I get too excited about the idea! 22 with a claim and paying 1800ish on the 3series.

QUOTE (kevinm @ Apr 17 2011, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think you would regret buying the 1.4. The gti's are way more tuneable. Ill bring you for a spin in mine if you want.

Jesus ya I'd love one sure I might see you round some day!

Just trying to weigh up all the options at the moment now to see if I can afford the Gti doing about 400+ miles a week and I wouldn't have the lightest foot around town
. First job is to price insurance 2moro and chance my arm at gettin a swap for the Bmw!

·
Registered
441 Posts
herself has a 170 1.4 gt. great car. cheap tax and insurance. not a gti by any means but thats why it has a different badge....
good fuel economy too unless im driving it.
only fault i have it the engine gave a bit of trouble when we bought the car and the shower [main dealer] we got it from would not even look for the problem. which was the timing chain starting to stretch and between arguing with that dealer and vw ireland. the chain went so bad it ended up jumping a tooth and bending a valve but thanks to my local dealer got it fixed for cheap

·
Registered
118 Posts
QUOTE (Gavrs @ Apr 17 2011, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Slight thread jack..... was this rental through Thrifty???

We had them in our fleet, the 1.4 TSI in the 122 are good, but I am sure they are no comparison to the GTI.

I wouldnt imagine there are many of the more powerful twin charged ones in Ireland!?

It was yeah
The manager in the shop I worked in when I was in college had a GT and ranted and raved about how good it was so I was delighted when they handed me the keys to one at the desk, the excitement didn't last long though

·
Registered
275 Posts
QUOTE (Trial_S15 @ Apr 18 2011, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It was yeah
The manager in the shop I worked in when I was in college had a GT and ranted and raved about how good it was so I was delighted when they handed me the keys to one at the desk, the excitement didn't last long though

Small world! Lol,

Just be thankful you didn't get a weazy 1.4 n/a...........

The consensus here OP is that the GTi is the way to go!

Good luck with the search!

·
Registered
118 Posts
QUOTE (ShaunieVW @ Apr 18 2011, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>^^^ Are you sure it was the actualy 1.4 twincharged one and not just the ordinary 1.4 with the 'GT' spec?? I find the mk5 trim levels all over the place and very hard understand.

I didn't open up the bonnet and check but it wasn't painfully slow and ran through a full tank of petrol in a couple of hours (round trip; dublin airport to castlebar - about 300 miles)

Gavrs might be able to confirm though?

Gav:
Yeah it was a lot better than the other cars I was usually given (pug, auris, bravo etc)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.