Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mk2 Oak Green 3 Door, this was never bought to be a project
DavidK
post Sep 9 2011, 09:06 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,991

After a disappointing experience with an e39, I decided to hold off on getting another bmw for now and just enjoy the mk2 as I was selling it at a loss anyway and its done less then 1k in my ownership

I bought this car as a runaround but this is gonna be my daily for now and my first "old" project.

Its in pretty good condition all round but over the last few weeks i've got together a few bits and pieces which i'm hopefully going to get fitted over the weekend.

here's what i've bought so far.

new track rod ends
new drop links
new lower ball joints
full pollybush kit including sub frame mounts (thanks keith)
new sump gasket
new rocker cover gasket
new crank oil seal
new diff oil seals
new air filter, fuel filter, oil filter
new spark plugs
New engine oil, gearbox oil, brake fluid, power steering fluid and coolant.
new gear linkage bush kit
G60 brakes
MK4 rear brake calipers (thanks PaudieG60)
New front engine mount
I got a good secondhand exhaust and rear bumper bar from a low mileage irish 16v
G60 Steering wheel

The other thing i had to have was good sound so i bought the following

Alpine iDA-X305S Headunit
Alpine KTP-445 Power Pack
Focal K2 Power 130KR Front Speakers
Focal K2 Power 165KR Rear Speakers

I was going to get alot of powder coating done but i think i might wait until i get the car resprayed, it'd be a weeks wait for it and it kind of makes sense to get it done when i'm doing the respray.

I'm sure i'm going to hit plenty of bumps on the way.

any comments and suggestions are welcome.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
audi b6 tdi
post Sep 9 2011, 09:11 PM
Post #2

clive....

Member No.: 47,334

sounds good, i love that colour (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

--------------------
2003 A4 TDI 130, white,black roof lowered H&R style, black lm reps, twin pipes, cupra splitter, 6k 55w hids.

Does anyone know of a satnav that avoids speedbumps and potholes? im in desperate need of one ha!!!!!

+Quote Post
Solid Oak
post Sep 10 2011, 02:57 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14,019

Nice list of parts there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) , You should get yourself a set of goodridge braided hoses, they do a set for the mk2 with mk4 rear callipers.

Lovely colour too, best of luck with it.

+Quote Post
DavidK
post Sep 12 2011, 01:25 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Solid Oak @ Sep 10 2011, 03:57 PM) *
Nice list of parts there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) , You should get yourself a set of goodridge braided hoses, they do a set for the mk2 with mk4 rear callipers.

Lovely colour too, best of luck with it.

Thanks man, just given up for the weekend on this thing. Paudie was actually good enough to sell me the calipers with the braided hoses. The goal is to get the car looking like yours but i would say i'm a long way off that.

Progress report is as follows.

Went to pick up the car on saturday morning, typically the bloody thing wouldnt start. It was a fuel starvation issue, i suspect its the fuel filter but I'll confirm that when i go to change it.

Happy with the progress over the weekend, the car is now fully polybushed, including the subframe, also fitted the new track rod ends and ball joints, every bush on the car was either gone or on its way out, removing the rear swing arm bushes was an absolute nightmare.

Dropping the rear axel revealed pretty dire brake lines, how it wasnt brought to light when it went in for the NCT is beyond me. I'm probably just going to get some copper brake lines made up, is there an alternative to it, can you buy them from vw? or get a kit?.

Removed the old exhaust as well, didnt snap any bolts on the manifold which was quite a surprise. The exhaust clamps were absolutely rotten with the exception of the clamp on the back box which was obviously replaced within the last few years, the overall condition of the exhaust was pretty bad, if i decide to stick with this car i'll more then likely just get a stainless steel system for it anyway.

Ended up taking the entire engine out, most of the oil seals on the car were gone and i've picked up a gearbox with 50k less on it then my car so going to put that one in. Sump gasket was changed but unfortunately i was supplied with the wrong rocker cover gasket so it hasn't gone back together, I'll order a new one from vw in the morning, I'm also going to replace the semi circular seals that sit on either side of the rocker cover. Going to do the timing belt, tensioners and water pump while the engine is out. The bell housing had alot of oil residue so i'm definitely doing the main oil seal. Clutch is in excellent condition, looks like it was changed not so long ago.

There are a few little botch jobs that need to be rectified but overall i'm very happy with the condition of the car, especially considering its an english car.

Big thanks to Taita for all the help so far.

I've taken some photos of the progress but left my camera in the car, i'll upload them tomorrow.

+Quote Post
PaudieG60
post Sep 12 2011, 06:58 AM
Post #5

The Lego Man

Member No.: 723

Jesus nice little update there!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

The diff will be day and night when you drive her again!!

All the best with it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Solid Oak
post Sep 12 2011, 07:20 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14,019

Sounds like you had a busy weekend, fair play.
What bushes did you use, Powerflex? It's on my to-do list aswell.

For the brake lines you can buy a pipe flaring tool, a roll of copper or nickel, a bag of fittings and make them up yourself. Cheaper in the long run and you get to keep the tool. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Probably worth doing all the gearbox seals and release bearing while you're at it, the parts are cheap and it could save you some trouble down the line.

+Quote Post
Guest_Murph81_*
post Sep 12 2011, 07:43 PM
Post #7

Guests

Fairplay for keeping her, makings of a fine car there, any plans for the interior?

+Quote Post
DavidK
post Sep 12 2011, 09:42 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (PaudieG60 @ Sep 12 2011, 07:58 AM) *
Jesus nice little update there!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

The diff will be day and night when you drive her again!!

All the best with it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Thanks man, just hope it doesnt turn into too much of a money pit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

QUOTE (Solid Oak @ Sep 12 2011, 08:20 PM) *
Sounds like you had a busy weekend, fair play.
What bushes did you use, Powerflex? It's on my to-do list aswell.

For the brake lines you can buy a pipe flaring tool, a roll of copper or nickel, a bag of fittings and make them up yourself. Cheaper in the long run and you get to keep the tool. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Probably worth doing all the gearbox seals and release bearing while you're at it, the parts are cheap and it could save you some trouble down the line.

I bought the full polybush kit from Keith, i also went for the optional sub frame mounts. I've never used them before and I have to say i'm very impressed by them to be honest and the full kit is actually quite small money in comparison to buying the OEM bits from vw. I did find that the bushes were easier to press using lithium grease over the supplied copper grease.

I bought the gearbox oil seals alright, plan is to change them before i put it back in. Gonna keep the original box, maybe get it refurbed at a later date, it seemed very good anyway, no issue with a crunch in any of the gears.

I was thinking of making up the lines myself but i've never done it before and i'm sure there will be quite a bit of trial and error and right now i simply dont have the time. If i can buy them prefabricated it would save me alot of effort.
I've found a company called Automec in the uk that can supply me with a full set of replacement copper pipes for relatively small money. After talking to Jonny I'm also going to replace the hoses with stainless steel goodridge hoses.

Release bearing was on my list of parts to replace, thanks for reminding me man.

QUOTE (Murph81 @ Sep 12 2011, 08:43 PM) *
Fairplay for keeping her, makings of a fine car there, any plans for the interior?

Thanks man, it doesnt matter what i drive right now, my daily commute has gone from 100 miles per day to 2 miles. I've always like mk2's, this one is my favourite colours for a mk2, with the right amount of doors and its got the added bonus of the electric recaros. Reading the current build threads also did alot in persuading me to keep it.

The plan right now is to get the car mechanically perfect. Once i'm happy with how its running and what engine i'm going to use, I'll look at the aesthetics.

The interior is very clean anyway, but the plans for the interior are:

get the recaro's reupholstered
replace the door cards, they've totally given up the will to live at the bottom
Replace/reupholster the headliner
replace the electric window switches
i'll probably line the car with dynamat

Thats all i can think of right now, I'm not going to modify it too much, just improve it.

Ordered the timing belt kit, water pump, exhaust gasket, and correct rocker cover gasket from vw today. Just to get the brake lines sorted and I should hopefully have it back together by the end of next weekend.

+Quote Post
DavidK
post Sep 13 2011, 02:07 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Got sorted with the brake lines. Bought them from Automec in the uk along with a full set of stainless steel goodridge hoses. They are excellent to deal with, highly recommended.

+Quote Post
Jimmy-the-Dog
post Sep 15 2011, 09:09 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,635

Nice to see the old girl getting the attention she deserves Dave.
Good, comprehensive shopping list there.
That section of back box was replaced fairly soon after I took ownership.

Will be keeping tuned for progress updates.
Pics required!!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

--------------------

Dirty tractor power.....

+Quote Post
DavidK
post Sep 18 2011, 10:52 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

I had taken some shots of the work that was done last weekend without putting a memory card into the camera (its an slr that doesnt tell you if there isnt one in it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) ) so i'm missing a few, but heres what i managed to get.

I'm going to replace the servo and the brake master cylinder, I'll refurbish this at a later date.
(IMG:http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l576/Dave_Kuhn/DSC_0097.jpg)

Shot drive shaft seal
(IMG:http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l576/Dave_Kuhn/DSC_0095.jpg)

Bell housing absolutely filthy with oil
(IMG:http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l576/Dave_Kuhn/DSC_0094.jpg)

Looking pretty good for 154k
(IMG:http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l576/Dave_Kuhn/DSC_0092.jpg)

Need to fix this
(IMG:http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l576/Dave_Kuhn/DSC_0105.jpg)

Got a bit more work on this done today. Timing belt, tensioner, rocker cover gasket, main oil seal.

Had my first snapped bolt on this thing, wd40 didnt cut it this time.
(IMG:http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l576/Dave_Kuhn/DSC_1393.jpg)

You can see how much oil was coming from the old rocker cover gasket, I know its not the cleanest but I'll sort that soon enough.
(IMG:http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l576/Dave_Kuhn/DSC_1384.jpg)

I replaced the upper belt cover as the original was collapsing, this one is slightly different in that the fixing that would be on the front of the cover is no longer on the replacement cover, guess it makes for easier removal of the rocker cover seeing as the belt cover needs to be removed to get the rocker cover off.
(IMG:http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l576/Dave_Kuhn/DSC_1382.jpg)

New sump gasket, missing a bolt, going to replace it tomorrow
(IMG:http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l576/Dave_Kuhn/DSC_1381.jpg)

shot of the old oil seal
(IMG:http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l576/Dave_Kuhn/DSC_1390.jpg)

Replacement oil seal
(IMG:http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l576/Dave_Kuhn/DSC_1380.jpg)

Really happy that i decided to do the timing belt, there was no evidence of the water pump having ever been changed and the timing belt was really very slack, i could achieve an easy 90 ish degree turn on the belt. The allen bolts on the crank pulley had been stripped so had to beat a slightly over-sized hex in to get it out.

you can see the impeller has seen better days.
(IMG:http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l576/Dave_Kuhn/DSC_1391.jpg)

Going to replace all these allen bolts tomorrow and put everything back together. Whoever did the timing belt last absolutely butchered these bolts instead of simply replacing them. The oil that you're seeing is from the rocker cover gasket, it was gone for a long time judging by the thickness of the oil on the side of the block.
(IMG:http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l576/Dave_Kuhn/DSC_1392.jpg)

Somehow, someone managed to break one of the fixing points for the power steering pump off the block, not the end of the world and its been like that for quite some time by the looks of things

(IMG:http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l576/Dave_Kuhn/DSC_1385.jpg)

I'm going to put the powersteering pump back together without it, it should be fine. and I dont know anyone who can do cast iron welding.

Should start putting everything back together tomorrow. Got to do a last bit of shopping before i start assembling everything. Only major hold up at the moment is the brake lines, still waiting. Plan is to have it back together and running before next weekend.

+Quote Post
t.d
post Sep 20 2011, 05:25 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 350

Jesus Dave you don't do things by halves do you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post
DavidK
post Sep 20 2011, 09:22 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (t.d @ Sep 20 2011, 06:25 PM) *
Jesus Dave you don't do things by halves do you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Thanks man

I intend to keep this one (god knows how long that'll last (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ), a bit annoyed with myself that i dont have the time to get the powdercoating done, theres the usual rust on the rear beam and the wishbones, nothing serious but would have loved to get it properly clean just dont have the time at the moment.

Dropped the K-Frame, found the problem with the powersteering. It was the rack, fortunately Taita had a brand new one that he was trying to hoard but was good enough to sell it to me, so the old girl has a brand new powersteering rack and a new set of hoses and reservoir. Put the k-frame back together, with the wishbones, ready to lift back in place after the brake lines are fitted (got a call from Automec today saying that I should have everything before the weekend)

Nearly got the engine back together, just waiting for a new thermostat, alternator belt and thrust bearing to come in. Should be able to pick them up tomorrow. Replaced all the water pipe clamps with stainless clamps, dont really like the look of the coolant hoses, i'll probably order a samco kit at a later date.

Also fitted the gear linkage bush kit, massive difference.

Really getting excited now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Eoghan06
post Sep 20 2011, 09:35 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 11,820

Nice project some amount of work gone into it. Will be lovely to drive when its done...

--------------------
'00 Golf 1.9tdi.

MK2 Golf Project.

+Quote Post
DavidK
post Sep 20 2011, 09:39 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Eoghan06 @ Sep 20 2011, 10:35 PM) *
Nice project some amount of work gone into it. Will be lovely to drive when its done...

Thanks man, it really has taken over my life at the moment, just wanna get it on the road (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Eoghan06
post Sep 20 2011, 10:03 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 11,820

Yeah id say you can't wait to drive it. It will def be worth it in the end....

--------------------
'00 Golf 1.9tdi.

MK2 Golf Project.

+Quote Post
Faley
post Sep 21 2011, 09:19 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 5,834

Works lookinG good Dave. If it wasnt for the sun and scenery over here I'd been raging not being there to help ye out

--------------------

+Quote Post
moylan
post Sep 21 2011, 02:35 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33,354

some amount of work been done there .best of luck with her !! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
DavidK
post Sep 21 2011, 07:33 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Faley @ Sep 21 2011, 10:19 AM) *
Works lookinG good Dave. If it wasnt for the sun and scenery over here I'd been raging not being there to help ye out

Thanks man, its finally coming together. PJ picked up the last of the parts from vw today. Just waiting for the brake lines now, should have it all closed up and down on the ground by the end of the weekend

QUOTE (moylan @ Sep 21 2011, 03:35 PM) *
some amount of work been done there .best of luck with her !! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Yeah, hoping for a fresh car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
moylan
post Sep 21 2011, 08:22 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33,354

she l be beautiful when finished . its a pity the leaking rocket cover wasnt found earlier . it would make life alot easier for ya !!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th March 2021 - 12:37 PM

VAGdrivers.net 2005 - 2010  · 

vagdrivers.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on vagdrivers.net is generated by its users. vagdrivers.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.