VAGDrivers.net VAGDrivers.net

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Special Edition Polo - Advice Needed, Need some wisdom from you guys on a Polo we are planning
Ptank
post May 23 2012, 03:06 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 31,701

Call it the "illusion" or "tight mans gti"

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bgh
post May 23 2012, 03:13 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 23,787

Where are all the usual it's not a genuine Wolfsburg edition gang?

QUOTE (dave m @ May 22 2012, 08:40 PM) *
Paddy

I think one of ur dealers is ahead of u, western motors have a white one badged GT Sport for sale.

Where are western motors getting their cars, they are awful, between the gt polo and the r golf which is nothing more than a Base golf with 16 inch wheels. Are they genuine vws? At least gt tdis had a decent spec

+Quote Post
paddycomyn
post May 23 2012, 08:18 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 76,477

QUOTE (BLZEEDUB @ May 23 2012, 12:45 AM) *
...Im not sure whether or not to take this seriously or not LOL.

What your suggesting here, is, essentially "badge engineering" (to be kind), but its harking back to the merky 'manufacturer's to dealers relationship' of about 2 or 3 decades ago in UK and Ireland where 'dealer packs' were supplied to dealers by the manufacturer's - a vast array of 'stickers n graphics' supplied by marques head office in that particular country, were held in a 'magic filing cabinet' in the dealers, and the customer was offered 'different models' on posters/brochures- which were essentially the same car (possibly even the very same car the dealer showed the customer/asked him her to sit into, pre sticker application/alloys bolt up), and then telling the customer its a 'different', more desireable, better spec'd model and cost a few quid more accordingly- vauxhall/opel were big into this in the earley nineties...
...i cant see folk being daft/niaeve, in these times - IMO the ship has sailed long ago on this approach to 'selling a new car' - buyers are far more savey these days, in parting with their coin, i would have thought...

I hardly think we are trying to deceive anyone - and we haven't done it yet. Hence why I was looking for an opinion. I take it then that is a no from you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Trevor
post May 23 2012, 09:14 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (paddycomyn @ May 23 2012, 09:18 AM) *
I hardly think we are trying to deceive anyone - and we haven't done it yet. Hence why I was looking for an opinion. I take it then that is a no from you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Nice idea Paddy. If it was offered with 0% finance at a low monthly payment then it could appeal to the younger generation.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Glenn
post May 23 2012, 09:21 AM
Post #25

Oh Glenn, you nasty!

Member No.: 4

Do VW Individual do anything for the new Polo?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ronan H
post May 23 2012, 09:38 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,438

I think it's a good idea also, and marketed correctly, I think it would appeal to younger people.

It's all very well to say "stick an xyz engine in it and beef up the power" but that is missing the point of what thread is about. It's about making the car look more appealing with already available accessories, to perhaps widen the market appeal of the car. Think about it, in order for Volkswagen to start manufacturing this car with a beefed up engine, I think they will need more than just a few suggestions from online forums. You're talking millions in research, development etc. before it would be even close to a runner.

I think branding it (as someone above said) as a Polo with a pack, such as Polo Sport Pack etc. would be a good idea as opposed to going down the road of WRC or anything like that. If you use WRC or Motorsport, people are going to expect a car with a hellish amount of power. If you look at how Audi have branded their cars; S Line, Sport with the "Lighting" Pack or the "Winter" Pack etc., these packs usually refer to cosmetic differences as opposed to performance differences. You have a whole other level of branding if you go into big horsepower models (S, RS... for Audi. GT, R, GTI... for Volkswagen and so on)...

I also agree that it is a cracking looking car. Every time I see one out I can't help but admire its spicy looks!

+Quote Post
Glenn
post May 23 2012, 10:49 AM
Post #27

Oh Glenn, you nasty!

Member No.: 4

iPod and dock, few gadgets and a set of alloys. Call it the iPolo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dubturbo
post May 23 2012, 11:26 AM
Post #28

They're not even a real country anyway

Member No.: 184

--------------------
www.autostadt.ie

+Quote Post
babyface
post May 23 2012, 01:55 PM
Post #29

CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet

Member No.: 2,726

If its going to be a standard polo tarted up I wouldn't be calling it sport or GT.. Maybe the go-slow..

If you want it to sell I wouldn't be increasing the price , I'd be trying to lower it, and I suppose the 0% finance would help.. I can't see people paying a premium for a "tarted up" polo tbh, so either add extras and charge the same or leave as is and lower the price.. Maybe a 5yr warranty would be good, might help bring back the reliable tag to vw..

Running costs are a big selling point in Ireland so low cost, low tax, low insurance , low maintenance costs etc etc.. Making an economy car more expensive will not increase sales..

As for the name, is the "special edition" as in the thread title not suitable?

--------------------
Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.

"Seeing as we are being classed as immature drama queen muppets and the site is now being hosted and managed by a commercial outfit which supplies a basic level of customer services. I formally request under the remit of the freedom of information act, to receive information as to when and where my copyrighted materials where distributed without my consent. ONLY UPON RECIEVING THIS INFORMATION AND HAVING RESPONDED I will then request for all of my data and content to be purged from this website along with all previous replications/backups which have been made outside the state of Ireland. I will also request confirmation from you that this has been completed with audit trails complying with your US data centre compliance levels (Sarbanes-Oxley, ISO etc)

No hat; made of tin foil or any other reflective metal was worn during the 'formulation of this signiture"

+Quote Post
dave m
post May 24 2012, 05:13 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 30,669

Hi Paddy

Was just flickin through a copy of the June edition of Volkswagen Driver mag, the UK is just about to get an R line Polo with a similar bodykit.
Also gets seats in kylami fabric and Malloy alloys

Have u seen it??

+Quote Post
Project B5
post May 24 2012, 05:43 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31,562

Looks a different kettle of fish tbh,

(IMG:http://www.ayushveda.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/2012-Volkswagen-Polo-R-Line.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.ayushveda.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/2012-Volkswagen-Polo-R-Line-3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.ayushveda.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/2012-Volkswagen-Polo-R-Line-1.jpg)

+Quote Post
kevinm
post May 24 2012, 06:01 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,513

I know I'm going off topic but why don't VW Ireland bring in the Polo GTI and other small volume limited edition cars? . They are already sold in RHD in the UK so there cant be much cost selling them here. A Polo GTI, even if it sold in tiny numbers, would help VW target a younger market. The mk5 GTI did wonders for VW. Look at all the 1.4 GT Sports you sold because they looked like the GTI.

--------------------
GTI Edition 30 DSG No. 728 - Xenon's - Folding Mirrors with Puddle Lights - MFSW - Highline Clocks and ccm - Cruise Control - RNS 510 - mk6 Reverse Camara - iPod Prep in Armrest - Skoda 729B Bluetooth - Polar FIS+ - Factory Rear Tints - Forge Catch Can - Gutted Cats - S3 Intercooler - Joe Power Remap and DSG Torque Limiter Removal
Previous: mk4 pd130

+Quote Post
JoeGTI5
post May 24 2012, 07:39 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,125

QUOTE (kevinm @ May 24 2012, 06:01 PM) *
I know I'm going off topic but why don't VW Ireland bring in the Polo GTI and other small volume limited edition cars? . They are already sold in RHD in the UK so there cant be much cost selling them here. A Polo GTI, even if it sold in tiny numbers, would help VW target a younger market. The mk5 GTI did wonders for VW. Look at all the 1.4 GT Sports you sold because they looked like the GTI.

Agreed. Same applies to the ED35. I remember one of the Irish national papers carrying a big preview of the ED35 in their motors section - clearly a copy and paste effort from VW UK marketing!

Why not bring in a few? They'd surely only revitalise interest in the lesser models as Kevin says.

--------------------
Was... '07 MKV GTI
Now... '11 MKVI GTD

+Quote Post
MarkC
post May 24 2012, 08:00 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 33,420

I must say i do really like that! a bit lower and its spot on providing it has the right tyres and spacing.. Would coilovers ever be an option? Im sure some sort of a deal could be made with a german company like KW!

As for names i wouldnt have any badges what so ever on the car with the exception of the vw badges and leave the 'polo' badge as a optional extra if wanted..
I would also bring back black badges for it to increase the look.. As some one said fogs or something are needed for the lower grill to break up that dull plastic section..
Recaro interior would also catch the eye of people, just a cloth one not leather, with a few different matching trims, door card, ect.. possible flock dash might be cool!

It would be interesting to see a load of weight taking out of it to increase the power to weight ratio because at the end of the day a 1.2 or 1.4 will be nippy if the weight is low.. i suppose when people are buying cars they want to add extras instead of taking them away to reduce weight!

It does really need power and thats the thing polo doesnt really stand for when you ask someone! As said that 1.4 tsi engine with the right weight reduction would be a little rocket.. nothing worse than something made look 'sporty' that isnt sporty!

As for names i think the likes of Gt etc are over done and tend to mean nothing! I would go for a special edition and run a limited number, etc 1000, on the account that it has entered the WRC but NO badges on the car, with the exception of a plaque in the cockpit like a 22B ect and possibly the model number on the gear stick and steering wheel!

I think Vw are starting to get some of the motorsport influence back into their lines which has been missing over the past few years.. I know some people have said that its a poor mans golf gti etc but it could easily be marketed as that once it has the looks and power to prove it.. people who want a high power hatch that cant afford the golf gti will be cought by this as apposed to a cheaper rival of the golf from a different manufacturer!

Ive probably just mentioned the same points as every one else because i flew through while reading everything but this is what i think could get the polo into the younger market!
Mark
P.S. Late welcome paddy, its good to see someone here from VWGI!

+Quote Post
tconl
post May 27 2012, 07:24 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 77,150

I think it hot as well i like the new polo i think if i was going to go that small that would be what i would get only thing is i am not mad on dark wheels i know they are all the rage but just not for me i like silver alloys they stand out better but knowing vw ireland they would probable have very little selection of other wheels eventhough england and the rest of europe would get twice the choice (come on vw ireland get your act together even the e-part site like vw germany) Sorry about the rant just sick of not getting the choice that the rest of the world gets

+Quote Post
Ptank
post May 28 2012, 10:24 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31,701

Realistically what age group are you targeting and expected floor price ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
baker16v
post Jun 21 2012, 10:28 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31,458

looks a nice car put some big brakes and lower it ,anti roll bars a few bits to make it feel fast and call it the equipped .. trow in a set of RECARO seats ..dont put a body kit on it and call it a 'sport' ... make it a drivers car a true vw ..

--------------------
Causing green house all by my self !

+Quote Post
waddellg
post Jun 24 2012, 09:36 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 77,302

QUOTE (paddycomyn @ May 22 2012, 05:52 PM) *
Hi lads and lassies

Just wanted your wisdom on something -

Polo is selling ok, but very much to an older audience. I was thinking we might do a special edition with some of our accessories for Polo and retail that. Do you think something like this would appeal? It wouldn't have more power but it would look good I reckon -

Here is how it would look -

Also would you have any ideas on what it could be called? Motorsport? WRC?

Anyway, thanks in advance for your input

Paddy, Volkswagen Ireland

You could call it the "Peter Mark Edition" or "Hair Dresser special" seriously all show and no go - like putting front fog lights on a Micra and calling it "Sport"

If you want to appeal to the younger audience make it affordable easy to insure and cheap to run. Or how about upgrading the stereo (CD changer etc?) air con - i used to like the Polo that came out with the canvas roof a while back, something that actually adds something to the car.

+Quote Post
-kc-87-
post Jul 12 2012, 05:10 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 75,883

+1 for the polo "R" Pack Or "Sports Pack" and I definitely like the Idea of it being offered with 0% finance and maybe a years tax?? young people in this country are broke and the ones that are working (thankfully myself included) cant afford big interest bank loans for cars, and are paying car tax quarterly, so that would definitely get me thinking of trading in my 00 polo trend line... in short if your really wanting to go after the younger market you have to bear in mind that generally these are the working poor in society ie. the ones who are living off less than the dole just not to be a burden on society so you'd want to be doing a seriously good deal... renault can do 0% finance why can't volkswagen bank?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th June 2021 - 07:51 AM

VAGdrivers.net 2005 - 2010  · 

vagdrivers.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on vagdrivers.net is generated by its users. vagdrivers.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.