VAGDrivers.net VAGDrivers.net

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Special Edition Polo - Advice Needed, Need some wisdom from you guys on a Polo we are planning
paddycomyn
post May 22 2012, 04:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 76,477

Hi lads and lassies

Just wanted your wisdom on something -

Polo is selling ok, but very much to an older audience. I was thinking we might do a special edition with some of our accessories for Polo and retail that. Do you think something like this would appeal? It wouldn't have more power but it would look good I reckon -

Here is how it would look -

Also would you have any ideas on what it could be called? Motorsport? WRC?

Anyway, thanks in advance for your input

Paddy, Volkswagen Ireland

Attached File(s)
Attached File  CIMG6943.JPG ( 951.81K ) Number of downloads: 0

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
myles08
post May 22 2012, 05:20 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14,554

That looks mean i love it pity that ye are planning on not putting any power into it though..

--------------------

+Quote Post
TD91
post May 22 2012, 05:59 PM
Post #3

Addicted to Amaroks...

Member No.: 30,483

QUOTE (myles08 @ May 22 2012, 06:20 PM) *
That looks mean i love it pity that ye are planning on not putting any power into it though..

This but if you're definitely not I wouldnt like to call it WRC unless it was a set colour scheme like white with blue (ike the Monte Carlo vrs), you wouldn't want to have any confusion with the WRC concept you launched at Worthersee
So I'd go with motorsport

+Quote Post
JoeGTI5
post May 22 2012, 06:02 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,125

Is the Polo GTI retailed here? I don't think it is, is it?

--------------------
Was... '07 MKV GTI
Now... '11 MKVI GTD

+Quote Post
Gurrier
post May 22 2012, 06:22 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 76,416

Love how agressive the new polo's look tbh, just like the mk1 golf

--------------------
Scrapped Octavia, moving to Croatia

+Quote Post
babyface
post May 22 2012, 06:48 PM
Post #6

CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet

Member No.: 2,726

It'd be nice with a 170bhp 1.4 tfsi engine in it, and call it the polo sport or gt170.. (it'd sell better than the gti one) That one in the pic looks cracking but a normal 1.2 or 1.4 just doesn't cut it to match the sporty look..

--------------------
Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.

"Seeing as we are being classed as immature drama queen muppets and the site is now being hosted and managed by a commercial outfit which supplies a basic level of customer services. I formally request under the remit of the freedom of information act, to receive information as to when and where my copyrighted materials where distributed without my consent. ONLY UPON RECIEVING THIS INFORMATION AND HAVING RESPONDED I will then request for all of my data and content to be purged from this website along with all previous replications/backups which have been made outside the state of Ireland. I will also request confirmation from you that this has been completed with audit trails complying with your US data centre compliance levels (Sarbanes-Oxley, ISO etc)

No hat; made of tin foil or any other reflective metal was worn during the 'formulation of this signiture"

+Quote Post
GTD 170
post May 22 2012, 07:30 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 58,675

good points alloys look good and car itself looks good

as for the whole sporty/rally naming thing if your not planning on a high output engine avoid that really. as it will have all the looks and no substance to back it up, which to me if you buying a car like that you would need and most important want that. o

otherwise it starts to turning the into the whole crashing the car into the front window of Halfords syndrome.

+Quote Post
Project B5
post May 22 2012, 08:23 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31,562

Id call it GT(bhp) e.g. GT140 for 140bhp. The same name for diesel or petrol versions

But it needs spotlights, Lowered approx 40mm, TT / Golf Anni pedal set.

Just another thought... how about Votex Edition? i.e. Votex bodykit??

+Quote Post
GSBellew
post May 22 2012, 08:25 PM
Post #9

Resident Polo Pervert

Group: VAGdrivers.net Moderator
Member No.: 53

It looks well, but I would avoid the WRC or Motorsport tag.

Furthest I would go would be Polo Sport, but it would probably suit something like style / trend better. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

--------------------
Gearóid

+Quote Post
Matt Finn
post May 22 2012, 08:26 PM
Post #10

Indecisive member

Member No.: 33,362

That looks class but it needs power and slight lowering.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dave m
post May 22 2012, 08:40 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 30,669

Paddy

I think one of ur dealers is ahead of u, western motors have a white one badged GT Sport for sale.
Personally I like the look of that, on this site I'd guess a lot of lads would like to see some decent sporty seats and a few toys like MFSW and a touch screen radio.

+Quote Post
paddycomyn
post May 22 2012, 10:06 PM
Post #12

I hear you. But we just have our existing cars. The bigger engine models don't shift here

QUOTE (myles08 @ May 22 2012, 06:20 PM) *

+Quote Post
paddycomyn
post May 22 2012, 10:12 PM
Post #13

Yea I saw that - not a bad effort, but I think we can make our own! Given that it hasnt extra power not sure about GT either!

QUOTE (dave m @ May 22 2012, 09:40 PM) *
Paddy

I think one of ur dealers is ahead of u, western motors have a white one badged GT Sport for sale.
Personally I like the look of that, on this site I'd guess a lot of lads would like to see some decent sporty seats and a few toys like MFSW and a touch screen radio.

+Quote Post
paddycomyn
post May 22 2012, 10:14 PM
Post #14

No, it would be way too expensive once you add VRT etc.....even the Skoda Fabia RS which is similar and under €23,000 hasnt sold - there is just no appetite for the hot hatch at the moment

QUOTE (JoeGTI5 @ May 22 2012, 07:02 PM) *
Is the Polo GTI retailed here? I don't think it is, is it?

+Quote Post
babyface
post May 22 2012, 10:23 PM
Post #15

CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet

Member No.: 2,726

A 1.4 twin charged engine wouldn't be a large engine.. Be cheaper to tax and insure than a gti one and I'd reckon it'd be a good seller in Ireland, it'd sell better than the gti one does...

The GT badge appeared on nearly every mk5 leaving the fourcourts the last few yr, I'd only call the polo a GT if it was a hot hatch with say the 1.4 tfsi 170bhp lump..

If it's just for the Irish Market why not go with "Green Edition" or "Edition Green" you could paint or wrap a few in a nice green for marketing but sell any colour with the green badge?

Or why not go back in time and call it the "classic"..

--------------------
Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.

"Seeing as we are being classed as immature drama queen muppets and the site is now being hosted and managed by a commercial outfit which supplies a basic level of customer services. I formally request under the remit of the freedom of information act, to receive information as to when and where my copyrighted materials where distributed without my consent. ONLY UPON RECIEVING THIS INFORMATION AND HAVING RESPONDED I will then request for all of my data and content to be purged from this website along with all previous replications/backups which have been made outside the state of Ireland. I will also request confirmation from you that this has been completed with audit trails complying with your US data centre compliance levels (Sarbanes-Oxley, ISO etc)

No hat; made of tin foil or any other reflective metal was worn during the 'formulation of this signiture"

+Quote Post
paddycomyn
post May 22 2012, 10:27 PM
Post #16

some good suggestions there thanks

QUOTE (babyface @ May 22 2012, 11:23 PM) *
A 1.4 twin charged engine wouldn't be a large engine.. Be cheaper to tax and insure than a gti one and I'd reckon it'd be a good seller in Ireland, it'd sell better than the gti one does...

The GT badge appeared on nearly every mk5 leaving the fourcourts the last few yr, I'd only call the polo a GT if it was a hot hatch with say the 1.4 tfsi 170bhp lump..

If it's just for the Irish Market why not go with "Green Edition" or "Edition Green" you could paint or wrap a few in a nice green for marketing but sell any colour with the green badge?

Or why not go back in time and call it the "classic"..

+Quote Post
ventojetta
post May 22 2012, 10:38 PM
Post #17

Declan

Member No.: 20,038

After studying marketing for the past four years you are going to have to look at what target market you want to specifically target with this, I know you said the younger market, but ideally a more specific age/social demograph would be helpful.

The hardcore VW fans on here aren't going to be your market for this in my eyes, you are looking at young professionals who have a substantial disposable income to say they can afford a brand new small, vaguely sporty 2012 car. Lets face it, not many out there are going to be buying new cars as most cannot afford them. In order for this car to sell well, its going to have to have a good market strategy behind it, and the name is crucial for it.

A neutral name would benefit this, something that is too masculine such as "motorsport" or "WRC" isn't going to appeal to many women out there, I'm not being sexist, i'm being realistic and looking at the larger picture. Best way to come up with a name that describes this car and will market it well will be to quiz / survey both genders in the demograph you are looking to target this specific model at, deem what names (a) describes it best, ((IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) will benefit when coming to market the car and ( c ) one that will fit in within the VW brand.

One that springs to mind is Renaults almost rebranding of the Laguna to the Fluence, rolls off the tongue more and the name and the almost french nature makes the name seem almost "sexy". Also, if ye are wanting to appeal to the younger age bracket as well as the age demograph which are currently leading the majority of sales, then look at Ford and how they are targeting the Fiesta at the younger age brackets with their marketing, appeals to a younger audience, yet the older audience are still buying it so its not affecting sales from the older demographic market, older people want to feel younger in a sense.

Also, its great to see VW finally interacting with their customer base with Web 2.0, why other large scale companies aren't copping onto this and the benefits of it astounds me.

If there is any jobs in the marketing department of VW let me know please (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Edit, in keeping with the german heritage, Kuhl, Flair etc etc

+Quote Post
dave m
post May 22 2012, 11:29 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 30,669

Dare I say it but how about Edition R? Seems to have worked for the body kitted Golf.

+Quote Post
BLZEEDUB
post May 22 2012, 11:45 PM
Post #19

'Black Balled' member

Member No.: 419

. I was thinking we might do a special edition with some of our accessories for Polo and retail that. Do you think something like this would appeal? It wouldn't have more power but it would look good I reckon -

Also would you have any ideas on what it could be called? Motorsport? WRC?

...Im not sure whether or not to take this seriously or not LOL.

What your suggesting here, is, essentially "badge engineering" (to be kind), but its harking back to the merky 'manufacturer's to dealers relationship' of about 2 or 3 decades ago in UK and Ireland where 'dealer packs' were supplied to dealers by the manufacturer's - a vast array of 'stickers n graphics' supplied by marques head office in that particular country, were held in a 'magic filing cabinet' in the dealers, and the customer was offered 'different models' on posters/brochures- which were essentially the same car (possibly even the very same car the dealer showed the customer/asked him her to sit into, pre sticker application/alloys bolt up), and then telling the customer its a 'different', more desireable, better spec'd model and cost a few quid more accordingly- vauxhall/opel were big into this in the earley nineties...
...i cant see folk being daft/niaeve, in these times - IMO the ship has sailed long ago on this approach to 'selling a new car' - buyers are far more savey these days, in parting with their coin, i would have thought...

--------------------

+Quote Post
BLZEEDUB
post May 23 2012, 12:20 AM
Post #20

'Black Balled' member

Member No.: 419

TBH ....I dont think you could 'pass it off' (market it) as anything other than a 'Polo_____Pack' - dave m's suggestion of "Edition R" - Pack seems to me to be a good suggestion...

As said above (in part), without some lowering/sport coils/better handling suspension, and im 'going hog wild here' some warming over' or at the very least some software changes/tweaks to the ECU to give a 'sportier feel' to the 1.4, I cant see/fathom how it can be justified to be 'rebadged' as something sporty/more exciting/livlier and distinct as model derivitive -in its own right- from a basic 1.4 Polo with a few accessory bits thrown at it...

..and lastly, looking at the pic in post #1 -Id unbolt them rims from it - look very Jap and dont suit a 'proper dealer model'!!

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th June 2021 - 09:50 AM

VAGdrivers.net 2005 - 2010  · 

vagdrivers.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on vagdrivers.net is generated by its users. vagdrivers.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.